Cultural Navigators (CNs) serve as mentors to help reduce the stress of cultural adjustment, strengthen linkages with vital services and resources as well as open doors to community involvement and family-focused activities. CNs receive training both on-ground and online at Hartford Public Library, and then are matched for a 3-month assignment with individuals and/or families.
• Recognizing that cross-cultural competence is an ongoing process
• Listening attentively with care and interest
• Accepting the role of dedicated advocate
• Having the willingness to donate their time (up to two hours a week over a three month period)
• Serving as nurturers of possibilities
• Providing support and guidance
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE PROGRAM FROM A PAST CULTURAL NAVIGATOR
HOW TO GET STARTED
Complete an application. Click here to download an application form. Once completed, you can email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off at The American Place. Or click here to submit the application online
Attend one of our information sessions on Mondays from 11:00am-12:00pm or 5:00-6:00 pm.
Sign off on a confidential background check and drug test (cost free) in accordance with Hartford Public Library's volunteer policy.
Complete a training program.
Once you have successfully completed steps 1 to 4, you will be matched with an individual or family based on multiple criteria.
Drop in to learn more at The American Place, or call (860) 695-6316 for more information.