increase font size
Translate




Get Directions

From:
To:
1750 Main Street

Hartford, CT 06120
860- 695-7520

Building CLOSED to the public due to the pandemic

Click here to learn about our Contact-Free Pick Up service.

History

The former Keney Branch was opened in 1929 on High Street and moved in 1932 to North Main Street. In 1943, the Branch moved further up North Main Street where it remained until 1946, when it was relocated in the Arsenal School. In 1951, a new branch, named after Edgar L. Ropkins, opened at the corner of Avon and Main Streets. It was destroyed by fire in 1969, and opened at a new location at 1710 Main Street in April 1979.

In May 1995, the Ropkins Branch and the SAND Everywhere School library merged. In April 1996, the physical location of the school library was turned into three classrooms. A new 5,600 square foot state-of-the-art facility opened in December 1998 as part of a $17.5 million dollar school/library complex at 1750 Main Street. The new SAND/Ropkins Branch Library space serves the SAND Elementary School community.